Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Los Angeles

People say LA is a tough town. The entertainment industry is cutthroat. There are tough cholo-looking motherfuckers everywhere. Even some of the hipsters look pretty tough. And it's been tough going for me. I've been here almost five weeks now. It feels like two weeks. I don't know why time feels like it's gone by so quickly. It hasn't been that tough, actually, I just really want to land a good job. I really want Square or Bang Zoom to call back with a job offer. It's driving me nuts waiting. Yeah, I'm applying to other jobs but no one has called and it makes waiting for Square even worse.

LA is more than half Hispanic. You feel like you're in Mexico sometimes. You don't have to be in a "cool" place to see a "cool" person either. You can be in the grocery store or the laundromat and see the most hipster looking motherfucker ever or some girl with a lot of make-up on that's probably trying to "make it." When you go to a club, there's a group of hardened Mexican dudes standing stoically in the back. I guess they don't like to dance ...at least not to cracker music.

You can say LA is a place of crushed dreams. So many people don't "make it." I'm not trying to make it. I think maybe I was for a while when I was still in school. I, at least, had the idea of making it after college. You're basically kidding yourself if you're trying to make it because you're exactly trying to get better at what you do. You're just trying to become famous or rich or whatever. I think you should just focus on whatever it is you do and not worry about such trivial things. "Making it" is not the main thing that should happen. It should be a side-effect.

This is one reason I'm not trying to compete with all of L.A. I'm looking into post-production places that do Japan-related projects or to game companies like Square. I feel like it's such a niche that I don't have to worry about crazy competition. I read Japanese every day so at least I can keep my Japanese up until then...if it (hopefully) happens.

I have noticed the relaxed California vibe too ...which is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment